Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tokyo Top Picks

One reader emailed me few months ago asking for some info about Tokyo, and I just got another email with same topic. Not that I am a travel expert but  I'd  like to share my favorite places in Tokyo as well, so here are my 'must visits' in Tokyo:
  1. Tokyo Disney Resort. When I was kid my favorite comic book was 'Donald Duck' so this theme park was on my top list when I visited Tokyo for the first time. Actually this Disneyland is 'outside' Tokyo, it's in Chiba to be exact. Known as the first Disneyland to be built outside America, it's now the most visited theme park in the world.
  2. Shibuya - Harajuku.I put these two vibrant precincts as one since I love to walk from Shibuya Station where you can find the Hachiko statue up to Harajuku station, strolling down the streets and enjoying the street fashion scene. Harajuku is particularly attractive for young people. On the west side of JR Harajuku station you will find Meiji-jingu Shrine, located in the heart of a city's forest, is another charming side of Harajuku precinct.
  3. Akihabara . This 'Electric Town' is the capital of Otaku industry, the Tokyo Anime Centre in the UDX building stages regular anime marketing events and merchandising fair for local and foreign anime-junkies. 
  4. Asakusa. After strolling around the vibrant and modern side of Tokyo, let's go to the birthplace of the Edo culture  that established Tokyo. Asakusa will charm and amuse you with its traditional Japanese atmosphere. Ancient Buddhist temples and shrines stand alongside shopping districts and traditional crafts, all within walking distance from Asakusa station.
  5. Odaiba, it's a large artificial island in Tokyo Bay linked by the Rainbow Bridge. Don't miss the Fuji TV building where you can go up to the observatory deck for free. If you are visiting Tokyo end of this month, you could be part of Tokyo Anime Fair 2011 at Tokyo Big Sight from March 24-27, 2011. I did plan to go to Tokyo for this biggest Anime Fair in the world but unfortunately I won't make it since another urgent trip plan came up.. so disappointed though. 
  6. Tsukiji Market. If you love Japanese food especially sushi and sashimi you'd love this biggest fish market in the world!
I can go on and on about Tokyo but if you are visiting Tokyo for 3-4 days, these places would amuse you enough so that you'd plan your next visit.

(Rainbow Bridge)

(Kaminarimon gate, Asakusa)

No comments: